Recipe for Love
Panned Nectarines with Whipped Cream and Blackberry Jam Drizzle
In honor of Valentine’s Day, here’s a very easy dessert that can be used with a variety of fruits, it is also gluten free. All the pieces can be made ahead of time and the fruit and drizzle can be warmed up quickly when it is time to wow your dinner guests.
Whipped cream – Use 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 5 tablespoons confectioners sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or paste.
Whip cream on high in chillled bowl until soft peaks form, add sugar and vanilla, beat until stiff, then refrigerate till serving time.
Nectarines – Use 4 firm nectarines, 2 tablespoons butter, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon each ground ginger and cinnamon, about ⅔ cup apple juice.
- Slice the fruit so that you have 2 rounds and 2 sticks off the stone (hold it on it’s end, slice one side, then another, then you have the skinny pieces left that you slice off for the sticks-Nectarines do not let go of their flesh easily!) put aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter so that the skillet bottom is coated.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon over the melted butter.
- Place fruit (flesh side down) into the sugar mixture and pour the apple juice over the nectarines.
- Cook on medium-low for about 20 minutes, covered tightly or until the nectarines are soft.
Blackberry Jam Drizzle
Combine ¼ cup seedless blackberry jam and 2 tablespoons honey in a microwave safe bowl, heat for about 30 to 45 seconds and stir until jam and honey mixture is smooth.
Drizzle about 1 teaspoon of blackberry mix around your presentation plate or shallow bowl
Put a scoop (about ¼ cup for each serving) of whipped cream in the center.
Place a nectarine round and the thin-sliced nectarine stick on the whipping cream, spoon some pan juices over it and serve. Here at the Inn, we like to sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar over the top as well. Bon appetit, yawl!!